Week 12 Lab: Writers Write

("Writing a Book" by Laura via Flickr)

For my Story Lab assignment, I looked through the Writer’s Write website and found an interesting article while looking throughout the page. The article is called “Don’t Commit These 9 Fiction-Writing Crimes” by Alex J. Coyne. This title really jumped out at me because I wondered if I made any of these so called “crimes” throughout all the stories if I have written in the class and if I have, is there a way to fix that. The first two points of this article go together as the mistakes are to either over-describe or under-describe scenes and setting. I completely understand this because if you under-describe a scene or setting, then it could be difficult to immerse yourself in the story and if you over-describe, it may seem like too much detail that pulls away from the main story. The third point is simply grammatical mistakes, but this can definitely be avoided by some proofreading. The next two points also go together as Alex describes hollow characters and robotic dialogue as some major factors to a lackluster story. I also completely agree with this as I believe that characters should come to life from your story and that you should be able to see more about their personality through the words written on the page. The dialogue is an important factor in creating these dynamic characters as from the way they speak, you are able to see more of a character’s personality. The next point goes over filler text which is quite common as some people just try to fill out the words on a page. However, this extra text makes the story become confusing and honestly boring to read as the story doesn’t go anywhere. The last two points include confusing details or detail changes as well as having a lot of unanswered question in your story. By keeping your details consistent, you will avoid confusing the reader and by answering all the loose threads in your story, you will leave little room for random speculation. Overall, I think that this advice in this article is very useful and I will definitely be using some of this advice in the rest of my stories.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Chris the Computer Science Major

Week 2 Story: The Lost Prince