Week 7 Story: Diary of the Third Wife

Author’s Note: The original story is about three men who had a sister. They all had a wife and one day the three men gave the sister a portion of the food that was supposed to go to the wife of the youngest brother. The two wives of the oldest brothers got jealous and decided to kill the sister. After the brothers found out, they ended up killing the two wives. I changed the story by making it into a diary from the perspective of the wife of the youngest brother. I told about what she would’ve seen and experienced as the two wives killed the sister.

("Diary" by Barnaby Dorfman via Flickr)


They want to kill her, but I do not know why. Why is there so much hate in their hearts for her? She only ate what was offered and the portion of meat given to her was mine anyways. They were not like this before marriage and the longer I think about it, the more I feel bad about it. She is a delicate and sweet girl, never really causing much trouble. So just why do they want to kill her? I heard them talking about their plan and they even asked me to join, but I refused knowing that she does not deserve this. I kept telling them to really think about this and leave her alone, but they ignored me as I was only the wife of the youngest brother. There’s nothing else I can do now as they might try to hurt me if I warn the sister.



I think they’re finally going to do it. My husband and his brothers have gone out to hunt. I saw them talking with a hammer in the hands of the oldest brother’s wife. They walked up to me, hammer in hand, and asked me one more time if I wanted to join. I could barely speak as I was filled with fright as I had seen a look in their eyes that I had never seen before. I just nodded my head side to side and in a low voice, I told them that this is the wrong thing to do and to let the sister go. The two wives ignored me again and off they went out the door. I saw the two wives approach the sister in the garden outside when I left the room. I couldn’t bear to see what was going to happen. The wives came back in around thirty minutes later and seeing me crouched in the corner of the room, they told not to say a word, or the same thing would happen to me. The brothers have come back, and they were looking for the sister. I was about to tell them, but I remembered what the sisters had said and stayed quiet.



It’s been a couple days since the sister’s death. I ended up telling my husband shortly after the incident as they found me crying alone in my room. The brothers ended up killing the wives and now I am the wife of all three. We are living happily now but I still can’t help but feel guilty about the sister. I think about her from time to time and I hope that she is happy where she is now.



Bibliography:

"The Three Hunters" from Tibetan Folk Tales by A.L. Shelton (1925). Web Source

Comments

  1. Hi Chris!
    I think it was very smart to put the author's note at the beginning of the story. I was able to follow with it, but if it hadn't of been there, I would have been pretty lost. This story is very unique and I like how you switched the points of view up! I don't know why, but it kind of gave me Goldilocks vibes, and it was really fun to kind of get that hint to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the font you chose for the story. It really adds to the level of uneasiness you portray in the story. I can feel the pressure of the two wives trying to get me to participate. Becoming the wife of all three after they kill their wives is like the cherry on top to really creep you out; mythology is crazy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Chris the Computer Science Major

Week 2 Story: The Lost Prince