Reading Notes: Europa's Fairy Book, Reading B

 

("Androcles and the Lion" by John Batten via Myth UN-Textbook)

The story that I chose to focus my reading notes on for this post is “Androcles and the Lion” by Joseph Jacobs (1916). I chose this story for a similar reason that I chose the other story for this week’s reading as I have also heard this story before. However, the first version of this story that I read was extremely short and lacking in detail compared to this one. This story is basically about a runaway slave called Androcles who helps a lion by taking out a thorn in its paw to which the lion showed its appreciation by giving affection and food to Androcles. However, Androcles got captured by his former master who turned him into the authorities and Androcles was sentenced to death for running away from his master. The emperor decided to make him fight against a lion, but it turns out Androcles was fighting against the same lion that he rescued. The lion ended up stroking Androcles with his paw and once the emperor saw Androcles had somehow tamed this powerful beast, the emperor ended up asking how Androcles did it. Androcles explained his entire story and was set to be a free man by the emperor. I believe that this story is like a lot of other stories that I have read this semester but one thing that seemed odd to me was the punctuation in the paragraphs. Instead of having proper punctuation and grammar, it instead uses a lot of commas and run-on sentences. Overall, it was really cool seeing a more detailed version of a story that I had read before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Chris the Computer Science Major

Week 2 Story: The Lost Prince